I was six when the Taliban took over Afghanistan and made it illegal for girls to go to school. So for the next five years, I dressed as a boy to escort my older sister — who was no longer allowed to be outside alone — to a secret school. It was the only way we both could be educated.
Each day we took a different route so that no one would suspect where we were going. We would cover our books in grocery bags so it would seem like we were just out shopping.
The school was in a house — more than 100 of us packed into one small living room. It was cozy in winter, but extremely hot in summer.
We all knew we were risking our lives: the teacher, the students, and our parents. From time to time, school would suddenly be cancelled for a week because the Taliban we’re suspicious.
We always wondered what they knew about us. Were we being followed? Do they know where we live?
We were scared, but still, school was where we wanted to be.
—From Shabana Basij-Rasikh’s TEDxWomen talk, “Dare to educate Afghan girls.” Shabana, now 22, runs a school for girls in Afghanistan. Listen to her talk and read more about her work at TED.com.
This, ladies and gentlemen, is how to be a badass human being.
- zzumrudd likes this
- kitaplardasaklanankiz likes this
- nihal-ny reblogged this from tedx
- nihal-ny likes this
- hernameis-atiqah reblogged this from coveredhairnomakeup
- ayain likes this
- coveredhairnomakeup reblogged this from tedx
- besidetheglowingbars likes this
- samithetipster likes this
- catchingkittens likes this
- evilwilly reblogged this from femina-fortis
- changesareshifting reblogged this from hungry-horny-feminist
- gnuoyyanoixam reblogged this from hungry-horny-feminist
- poutingbunny likes this
- noonanadia likes this
- modestblouse likes this
- sewerslime16 reblogged this from sexxxisbeautiful
- meddalarksen reblogged this from victoriousscarf
- victoriousscarf reblogged this from octophelia
- biblical-trash reblogged this from skeletonsarefine
- skeletonsarefine reblogged this from ileolai
- jmd1337 reblogged this from mio-chu
- shupagirl-uk likes this
- auwgss likes this
- benostalgic likes this
- mio-chu reblogged this from jeraburabu
- jeraburabu likes this
- jeraburabu reblogged this from fivepiecesofstardust
- fivepiecesofstardust reblogged this from tedx
- fivepiecesofstardust likes this
- complacent-teen likes this
- godlessgirl likes this
- riotousroots likes this
- miss2step reblogged this from tedx
- miss2step likes this
- hiitsmeeeeee reblogged this from sexxxisbeautiful
- laniesmiscel reblogged this from tedx
- ilydm likes this
- themeaningofdreams reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomevulvas
- peacetea likes this
- meekwarrior reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomevulvas
- rlyrlycool likes this
- cinnamonndicks reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomevulvas
- kandycenorton reblogged this from fuckyeahawesomevulvas
- wibblywobblygenderywendery likes this
- losethatthought likes this
- redfieldsofnone likes this
- waldeinsamkeit-lost likes this